Thursday 2 May 2013

Galaxy Shorts Tutorial

So I have this pair of black pants that are an awkward length: not short and not long, kind of knee length, I guess? I bought it for $85 in a shop on Fa Yuen Street two years ago and I don't wear it much. So I decided to turn them into a pair of galaxy shorts, and here's a tutorial with pictures telling you how I did it :) Enjoy!

Materials: 1 pair of pants, scissors, fork, acrylic paints (violet, blue, pink, green, orange, yellow), toothbrush, small brush
DIY duration: ~2hours
 1. I cut the pants to a suitable length with a pair of scissors, around 10cm from the knee.
 2. I frayed the edges with a fork, since the pants aren't denim this is an easy step as it will naturally fray a bit when you cut it.
 3. Further fray the edges by rubbing the ends or rubbing them with sandpaper.
 4. Take some acrylic and mix a colour that you like. I use Daler & Rowney Deep Violet as the main colour. You could also use fabric paint as it is likely to stay on longer, but I find it doesn't look as cool because of the glossy texture after it dries. Take your pick :)
 5. Rub the acrylic on with an old toothbrush, in a circular motion, and try not to leave large blobs or spots. Do the same for the back.
 6. Next I took blue and did the same procedure as with the violet. You could also use pink, light blue, light violet; just add a bit of white to the paint!
 7. I dotted on some white spots with a small brush, for the stars, and added some crosses: star-crossed! Remember to do it for the back too, or it will look weird.
8. Lastly add the planets and the comets. For planets, draw circles using emerald green, then blend in cadmium orange, lemon yellow and leaf green. For comets, put a blob of orange onto the fabric then smear with your finger. At the back of the shorts I chose not to draw planets as the front is supposed to be highlighted more, but I did draw comets.



Thanks for reading and I hope you liked my tutorial! If you are as bored as I am and it happens to be a public holiday like today, give it a shot! It takes about 2 hours for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hihi thanks for visiting my blog and showing your support! I'll try to reply to your lovely comments as soon as possible :)
xx Silver